Monday, September 28, 2009

Chapter 5 Response

This chapter, covering Modeling with Technologies, was very useful for the Elementary Classroom. I know that for myself, I normally think of technology as a way to teach and/or explore writing. Personally, the thought of using technology as a tool for modeling take it the next step up, which is scary. The textbook suggests that technology be used in the classroom because it can help students represent their internal, mental models in different ways using different programs. This is interesting. Normally, when I think about measuring student’s creativity, I don’t think about student’s ability to express their creativity using technology. This is a very appropriate topic because the classroom is drawing further and further away from standard paper and pencil for modeling. The author says that mental models provide the basis for computer models but building the computer models helps learners construct better mental models. I agree. However, I don’t think it is the technology’s reason for students having a better understanding. I think that when teachers MAKE students gather information that is in their head and model it, it is beneficial. Normally we all have what we think makes sense in our head, the beauty of teaching is that the instructor/presenter, or student in this case, has to come up with the right words and symbols to allow others to share that same idea. It can be a lot harder than what is initially expected. Technology has Mindtools that can help students externalize their thought processes and models. “The primary purpose of student modeling is the construction and revision of the learner’s conceptual understanding, a process known as conceptual change and one that is sometimes difficult”.

This chapter talks about using concept maps to model knowledge, systems dynamic tools to model systems, spreadsheets to model problems, expert systems to model thinking and databases to model experiences. These are all neat ways to model internal though processes. I think these mindtools are so helpful in the classroom. Students process material differently (input). Therefore, there should be more than one way for them to show they understand it (output). Mindful thinking is active, constructive, intentional, authentic and cooperative. Building models requires students to actively think of what it is that they think about a topic and construct something that expresses that to the world. Of course, that would be intentional. Normally when one builds a model, they look at it from inside out or the outside in. Regardless, the model is normally complex. As a teacher, I would always have my students discuss and explain their models. This makes them engage in conversation. Hopefully this will help them improve their model if there are kinks that those who did not design the model did not understand. I think models that are built in groups are fun also. However, the teacher will need to design a rubric and require individual assignments as a part of the large project to ensure everyone is participating.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharda, I agree that modeling is the most beneficial to students when students are gathering various information then bringing all the information together and modeling the main concepts. This chapter definitely provided some unique modeling opportunities for our future students. I also agree that there is a place for group work when creating models in the classroom. This makes me think about some of the web sites we've found in class that allow students to collaborate from various locations. See ya in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharda, I agree with most of your points. I especially agree with the author and your point about mental models providing the basis for computer models but building the computer models helps learners construct better mental models. I never thought about things from this perspective either

    ReplyDelete